Sunday, October 12, 2008

They Come in Threes; So Am I Good?

They say bad things or disasters come in clusters of three. I remember hearing that when I was a kid and three airplanes had crashed in a 1-2 month period. I remember hearing that when tornado's hit towns in OK one right after another till three successive tornadoes had torn apart the region. I was reminded about that again last night by Jody.

Driving home from a dinner party at our friends in Carefree, AZ we had a blow out. We were heading South on the 51, in the far inside lane, when I felt and heard the thud thud thud of a flat tire. By the time I pissed of 3 drivers by cutting in front of them to get off the freeway my tire had shredded and pulled away from the rim. I could hear the grinding of the metal hitting asphalt and it made me cringe to think of the damage it was doing to my rims.

I didn't even have to look at the tire to know it was toast. I immediately went for the high quality jack that was sold with the truck. I got the jack placed under the truck after a bit of work and began jacking up the truck to get the darn tire fixed. While trying to jack up the truck Jody reminded me that bad things happen in series of three. Over the past 2 months we have had 3 tires blow between her Jeep and my truck. That is three more blown or flat tires than either of us had in the preceding 10 years. It must be so; bad things happen in threes.

So, to wrap this saga up I'll tell you the rest of the story. (I'm sorry, I don't have Andy Rooney's ability to story tell as well.) The lovely, "Strong" jack that came with my F-150 truck broke. We could not get it to jack up the truck, thereby rendering us useless and stuck on the side of the freeway. We debated calling AAA until we realized that we don't have the service. We debated calling a tow truck, but the idea of spending $150 to have some dude named Claude come do $5 worth of work wasn't sitting well with me. So, we called some other friends that live close and asked if they had a decent jack. Providence smiled down upon us as they not only had a jack, but offered to come rescue our sorry butts.

After a brief, but lovely wait on the side of the freeway our friends showed up, jacked up our truck and helped us change the tire. Firstly, we're grateful for friends that would come save us at 10:30pm, and second we're grateful for working jacks.

So, what did I learn from this ordeal. 1. Buy AAA, it's worth it even if you only use it once in 5 years. 2. Don't put off getting new tires when you see your tires wearing out. 3. After the second bad thing happens get ready...they come in threes.

2 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

That is indeed SUCKY!! I just had a freaking flat on my brand new tired van. But, unlike you, I cleverly DO have AAA and they came and saved the day. The end.

Hot Diggity Daws said...

1. I was in a pretty bad car accident when I was 8 months pregnant with Griffin,

2. 1 week later while at the Chiropractor for said accident our home was robbed.

3. I was in such severe pain that I couldn't go back to work and lost out on $2000 just before a new baby.

Ah yes, they come in Threes! However then a few great blessings are in guaranteed! So keep your eyes to the Horizon! :)