Saturday, October 25, 2008

Panick Sets In!



After a few weeks of running and cycling I was starting to feel pretty good about my odds of finishing my first triathlon. Not only did I think I'd finish it, I was beginning to have illusions of gandeur and thought I might finish close to Dixie.

HA! I laugh in my own face. Today was a day of reckoning and a serious WAKE UP call!

I finally broke down and bought some new swimming goggles. I went to the YMCA this morning and dedicated myself to the swim portion of the triathlon. HOLY CRAP! I suck. Let me say that the swim portion of our triathlon is only 400 meters. That is 16 laps in a competition pool. Also I should point out that my new goggles were lovely and didn't leak at all. Now, on with the story.

When I got into the pool I noticed two "heavier" girls swimming laps. They kept a steady pace and seemed to be on a chain as they went back and forth in their lane. I figured that if they could do it, so could I, NO PROBLEM. Ha, I laugh in my face again. My goal was to swim 16 laps, and maybe more if I was feeling good. I finished 4 laps before I had to stop and gulp as much air as I could to keep my brain from shutting off due to a lack of oxygen. 4 laps, are you kidding me? I did this three more times before I called it quits for the day. So, technically I finished 400 meters, but there were frequent and lengthy waits inbetween sets. This is no way to complete a triathlon.

Even though today was a RUDE awakening, it showed me that I still have a LONG way to go before I'm really ready for this triathlon. It also showed me where to put my focus for the next month. I will try and get my swim in EVERY morning and then do an alternating run and bike in the evenings. I refuse to be that guy that stands in the corner catching his breath, or gets scooped up off the bottom of the pool when everyone else is finished with the race. I have one month to get my lungs and muscles in decent enough shape to finish this "SPRINT" triathlon strongly.

9 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

I guess now would be a good time to quit that pesky smoking huh? Tee hee! Sucker! No really, good for you. Good luck with the swimming, it really can kick your butt. Wish I was swimming with you.

Erock! said...

I wish you were swimming FOR me.

Lana said...

I feel you on the swimming. My problem is 1.) lack of proper swim training 2.) lack of proper swim endurance!! But with a month to go--you'll be ready. I'm excited to come and watch.

Erock! said...

I'm glad you are so confident Lana. I swam again today and it was only a slight improvement. I was able to swim 8 laps before gulping for air. I finished 16 laps and called it quits. I'm hoping that tomorrow I can go 10 laps then 12 and so forth.

Dixiechick said...

When did you swim? I've missed you the past few days. I laughed at your voicemail on saturday. Wish I could have been there to see ya. :) FYI-- 400 meters is my warm up. Mwahahahaha.

Erock! said...

I swam on Saturday, then I swam again yesterday. 400 meters is KILLING me. You are my master in the pool. I just want to get to where I can swim 400 meters without taking a break somewhere in the middle.

Porter Shumway said...

Well, the prob is the weight we have to pull. Dixie has little to tug around. By the time I was done swimming today, I am sure my shoulders and triceps should have been in some magazine somewhere. They were bulging like never before. After my first hundred I thought, "hey, this isn't so bad. But after the second one I thought, "hey this is so bad". So, I'm right there with you. You work on the swim, I'll work on the run, and that way I'll only finish 15 minutes behind you.

Erock! said...

I hear you on the bulging muscles. I got done swimming yesterday and looked in the mirror. I was mesmorized. I was stunning with my bulging shoulders and triceps. I'm definitely making progress on the swimming thing.

Crandell Fam said...

Good for you! The swimming would be my favorite part of the triathalon if I were brave enough to actually sign up for it! I was seriously going to do one last year, and now I'm just trying to get myself back to the gym on a regular basis. 3 times last week was the first time back in 3 months and it felt great! I was SORE, but felt good. I'm going again this week and if I keep it up maybe there will be a triathalon I can do after the new year. I was worried with the diabetes, but it helped my blood sugars a lot!