Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's ON!

The triathlon is on. I am going to do it. I have not figured out how I'm going to do it, but I'm doing it.

This morning when I went to the gym I figured I'd have some mental solitude amongst a crowd of people. I get that way when I am listening to my Ipod and working out. That wasn't to be the case.

I had just finished stretching when I saw this tight bodied lady stretching on the treadmill. Fortunately I recognized who it was before I let my mind wander. I walked over and got onto the treadmill beside Dixie and got her attention. It was just what I needed to get enthused about doing this triathlon.

We ran together (2 miles) until I couldn't stand the fun any longer. Dixie continued another 1.5 miles after I quit her. I went over and did my best Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonation and pumped up my arms and shoulders. I worked in sit ups and leg lifts for a solid work out. When I was finished it looked like I had swam a mile, while Dixie looked fresh and at ease. It's not fair.

When I came home I told Jody about the chance meeting and work out with Dixie. I told her that I felt pretty confident on the bike part of the triathlon, but the swim and run part have me nervous. I told her my goal was to keep up with Dixie for the 2 mile run because I think I can hang with her on the bike, but KNOW that even if I was a mile ahead of her after those two legs, I'd still loose because she is a mermaid. Funny thing is, I don't know who I'm kidding thinking that I'll be able to keep up with Dixie for more than 100 yards. She'll probably be putting her bike away when I'm finishing the run.

So, Day one of the triathlon training has been completed and my feet hurt.

4 comments:

Porter Shumway said...

do it. Is it Thanksgiving day? UGH. I'm struggling this week. I HAVE to work out in the morning or it really doesn't happen. HELP!!!!

Lana said...

I will testify that running next to Dixie at the gym is great. :) I love working out with other people--but it was always especially fun to work out with her there to compete with. :) Good luck with the training. I think Porter should do it with you guys!

Erock! said...

I agree, Porter should do it with us. The post mortum on yesterdays work out is that my legs hurt now.

Dixiechick said...

Eric, you are too kind. I certainly did not look "fresh and at ease". It's true, I am a crappy cyclist, so I'm sure you'll kick my trash in that category. See you Monday for a swim/bike workout! :)