Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Tape Doesn't Lie

As a kid we used to walk off a field to set up the boundaries when we played football. We'd put one foot in front of the other and count, assuming each step equated to a foot. We were close and it worked for us.

When it comes to total physical fitness I decided I needed to have a more accurate starting position so I can chronicle the transformation. I didn't want to be like when we were kids and think my guesses were close enough. I needed something concrete, irrefutable. I needed measurements and weigh ins. The tape doesn't lie.

The act of taking and recording your measurements is a humbling and sobering experience. I honestly don't think I've taken all of my measurements like I did today, since I was in high school. Frankly, I remember those measurements being much smaller numbers. (With the exception of my biceps and calves, which used to be bigger than they are now. Go figure.) So, without further ado I'll post my measurements. Ladies, don't hate because I have larger breasts than you do!

Neck: 18"
Chest: 49"
Waist: 42" (This is the one that hurt the most. I used to wear 36" waist. sniff, sniff.)
Hips: 44.5" (I don't know why I measured my hips...that's a chick thing to do. Jody said do it.)
Thighs: 25" (Each, not together.)
Calves: 16.5"
Bicep: 16.5"

Wow! That all adds up to a big boy.

I looked at the tape measure a few times, just to make sure I wasn't measuring in metrics. That makes for a lot bigger number. As it turns out, I measured correctly. I kept pulling the tape tighter around my waist because I couldn't believe that it was stopping at 42". Jody told me it doesn't count if the tape is cutting into your skin, so I had to relent and scratch out 38" and put back in 42".

I have to tell you, this week has been full of eye opening, self realizing and introspective moments. It's hard to look at yourself and see the REAL you, and not the you that is in your mind. For me, it took real pictures and REAL measurements. The tape doesn't lie.

2 comments:

Porter Shumway said...

Gotta love those measurements. Keep up the work. I had a discouraging day today so I love to read that you are doing well.

Dixiechick said...

You should have had me do your measurements. I'm totally professional at it. :) Awfully brave of you to post all this...I'm impressed, keep up the good work.