Wednesday, November 19, 2008

No Road Blocks

Historically working out on the road has been a real challenge for me. Between late meetings, dinners out with clients, no wife to push you out of the comfy bed early in the morning, working out on the road is hard to do.

As I've been working on my fitness this time around I committed to myself that I would work out on the road. I wasn't going to allow traveling to be an excuse for not doing what I know I need too. Initially it was still really hard. I hadn't realized my motivation. This time was different.

I got to Chicago Sunday night. By the time I was in my hotel it was 8pm and it was dark and cold. I had planned on swimming laps, but after careful consideration I decided it would be bette for me to contemplate my navel while watching Sunday night football. I discovered I'd have a betweeny if there wasn't so much of me to love. It was probably for the best anyway. It was Sunday, the day to rest.

Monday morning I got up at 5:30am and headed down to swim laps. I had the entire pool and work out area to myself the whole time. The pool at the Holliday Inn was great. It was 20 yards long, which made it easy to figure out how many laps I needed to swim. I actually lost count of the laps I swam because I changed my focus to swimming for 20 minutes. I alternated between freestyle and back stroke to keep going. I stopped a few times, but nothing like I used too. By the time I finished my head was spinning and my hamstrings, lower back and shoulders were not happy with me. They all made their displeasure very clear. GREAT work out.

As the day wore on I kept thinking that we don't have much time before this race, and I'm still not comfortable with my preparedness. I decided that as soon as we finished our meetings I would get another work out in before our dinner. I did it. I was the first to the hotel and within a few minutes had changed and headed down to the gym. I got 2 miles in before I had to go shower for our dinner. I felt great. (My shins hurt a bit, but not so bad that it concerned me.)

On Tuesday morning I figured that I should finish the trifecta and get my cycling in while on the road. So, I rode the excercise bike for 30 minutes. I have no idea how far I went, or how fast I was going because the display was broken. I do know that I kept a pretty fast cadence for the entire 30 minutes and left a puddle of sweat behind that resembled Lake Michigan. I felt great about that work out too.

As I walked the corridors of O'Hare airport yesterday evening I was reminded of my work outs. I felt the tightness in my hamstrings and lower back and thought about the swim, and my calves and shins reminded me of my run the evening before. I noticed that my stomach felt a little firmer and my pants fit a bit looser. Even though no one stopped me and asked for my autograph because I was confused with a super model, I felt pretty darn good. My hard work was paying off. I was able to overcome the Road Block Blues and get three solid work outs in. I was seeing the difference and that was what mattered. At the end of the day this whole journey is about me triumphing over the old lazy weaker minded me.

4 comments:

Dixiechick said...

Eric, I can't tell you how happy this post makes me. That is so AWESOME!

Erock! said...

You are telling me. I was telling Jody how I'm looking forward to tomorrow mornings work out. I'm riding my bike to the gym and then swimming and riding home. I love the way I feel after that work out.

Lana said...

Good for you!!! Thank goodness for a hotel with a great pool and workout room--minus the broken bike display. :) It can't all be perfect, huh? Seriously, that is so awesome!! I would have TOTALLY stopped you for an autograph.

Allyson & Jere said...

Good entry Eric, I enjoyed it. I'm quite proud of you, 'cause I'm SURE this is hard to do out there. I guess i didn't realize how MUCH you travel, sheesh! Only a few more days until the big event, here's hoping you are a rock star and you realize all this working out was so worth it.