Friday, November 28, 2008

Another Step On the Path.

When I began this blog my goal was to hold myself accountable by reporting my progress to whoever wanted to read this blog. I didn't have too many goals beyond getting in shape. Then about 6-7 weeks ago my younger sister Dixie threw out the idea of doing a Thanksgiving morning triathlon. As crazy as I thought she was, I accepted the invitation and began training for it 6 weeks ago.

When I started the training I struggled to run a mile, I hadn't ridden a road bike in 15 years and had not swam a laps in a pool since Moses parted the red sea. I remember my first morning of swimming laps. I looked at the pool and thought, hmm, 16 laps, no problem. (2 laps later I was gulping for air like a fish out of water...BIG problem.) But something happened along the way. I got committed to doing this triathlon. I trained as often as possible with Dixie because she has a way of driving me on the bike and run. When I was on the road I made sure to run and bike and where possible, swim. I saw progress being made and that encouraged me to try a little harder.

No, before I go into the pictures let me be clear...I have a LONG way to go before I'm at a level of fitness that I want. This was a step on that path. To me it was a big step, but just a step nonetheless.


Me, Dixie, and Porter. (Sister and Brother.) We did this together and spurred each other on. It was great!


Me during the transition from the run to the cycle. I have been told I lack technique and should have sat down. Live and learn.


Me at the finish line after the swim! I was totally spent.


The competitors after our finishes. Dixie beat us by about 11 minutes. I finished about 2-3 minutes before Porter.



My family. My rocks and support. They cheered me on throughout the training and the race. It was so good to have them there and see their smiling faces as I completed each leg of the race.

I didn't put in all of the pictures, like me swimming the backstroke at times to keep afloat and breathing. I left out the picture of me puking after the finish. I thought most could assume those things and didn't need the visual.

This triathlon was a great experience for me. It gave me a focus for my training, brought me closer to my sister and it has helped me along my journey toward real physical fitness. I was reserving any future Triathlon goals until after I finished my first race. Now that I have done one, I KNOW I'm going to do more. My goal now is to do two more sprints (Tempe and Rocky Point,) and eventually an Olympic Triathlon. Each of these are another step on the path toward my ultimate goal of peak physical fitness.

6 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

YEA! Good for you Eric, I for one am proud of you. I'm scared poopless for me to do one, but I look forward to being able to write a post like that in the end. I think I'd better stop nursing, 'cause these giant breasticles will certainly impede my progress,haha.

Erock! said...

Or, maybe the giant breasticles will keep you floating in the water. :) It was a good feeling to have finished the first one.

Porter Shumway said...

Nice work brotha. I don't know if you checked, but the results are in. You beat me by 1.5 minutes or so. Dixie got 2nd in her division. Pretty cool. I'm starting tomorrow my trim down workouts and then in about a month or two, I'll start training again for a triathlon. I have to figure out which one I want to do. I need to see all of the options, then put them on the calendar. Thanks for keeping on me. You rock, E-rock.

Dixiechick said...

You rock. And it was great to see you back in the gym come early morning. Look out world...

Dixiechick said...

um...the last post and this one is from Shane, I'm just posting under Dixie's name

Crandell Fam said...

SWEET! I'm so proud of all of you, and you've all inspired me so much. Can't wait to write my own "finished" post! Great job!