Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Biking, FOR REAL!

Last night I picked up my bike that I'm using in the triathlon. Thankfully I live in a biking rich neighborhood. I'm not kidding, we counted 8-10 SERIOUS bikers in my neighborhood. They all belong to a biking club and ride 5 days a week, culminating on Saturday with a 60-80 mile ride. These people are SERIOUS.

This group has been trying to get me to come ride with them for years. They saw the fat out of shape blob I had become and knew that biking would be a great way to get me into shape. They are also a good group of people who are genuinely friendly.

When I began talking about training for a triathlon many of my biker friends asked me what I was going to be riding. I told them I didn't know as I didn't have a bike now, and couldn't see spending $1500-$3000 on a bike if I wasn't going to continue with the cycling. Without having to ask, I had three people offer to let me use their EXTRA bike. Fortunately for me all of the bikes were good, but only one fit me, so it made the choosing easy.

I picked up my bike last night, but still had to get pedals, cleat shoes and helmet. I got everything but the helmet taken care of last night. The bike is an Italian road bike called a Bianchi. It is a combination Chromoly/carbon fiber bike. It rides like a dream.

I was anxious to actually get out on the bike and see how different riding in the wild was compared to riding a stationary bike in the gym. So, today I decided to ride to the gym for a duel work out. I rode 5 miles to the gym, swam my laps, then rode home. Although I did feel a difference on the road, it wasn't significant and I felt strong in my cycling. I know that I could not keep up with my SERIOUS cycle buddies, but for my level of fitness I am doing pretty well.

I have decided to continue with the cycling even after the triathlon. I am going to join in with this group and see how far I can take it. I have incentive...three of my neighbors that joined this group have each lost an average of 30 lbs. They look great, and you can see that they feel great. I don't have any false aspirations of becoming Lance Armstrong, but I do believe I can get in great shape and have fun doing it.

5 comments:

Lana said...

"false aspirations"???? Wha?? Go for the Gold, ERIC!! Don't sell yourself short. :)

Dixiechick said...

Are we on for a saturday ride? What time and where? I love riding "for real"...way more fun than at the gym.

Erock! said...

Dixie, Yes, I'm up for a ride Saturday morning. How far do you want to ride? Many of my neighbors do a loop from where I live, out to Las Sendas, loop through Las Sendas then back to my house. I think that is 28 miles. Is that too long?

Allyson & Jere said...

Oh Eric, don't sell yourself short here, I'm SURE you could work it all the way to the Olympics if you WANTED to. hehehehe But for realsies, how cool that your whole neighborhood bikes and you got yourself a sweet ride for FREE! Keep up the good work, someday not soon eough I'll be able to join you kids at the gym and cry from the pain. Oh, Ijust read your comment back to Dixie. I'm thinking you might be overshooting a TAD with the 28 miles right out of the gate. I'm just saying.

Dana said...

I could follow you in my car, you know like they do in the Tour... take some photos and spray water on you. Anything to be helpful and feel like I'm PART of the biking/triathalon training!!