Friday, January 9, 2009

The Next Generation


After a week of working and traveling the Pacific Northwest I was thrilled to get home last night. It was a little after 9pm that I finally got home and hugged my kids. Maya ran to me and jumped into my arms. She's just the right size to be able to wrap her legs and arms around me and rest her head on my shoulder. Conner yelled up to me from where he laid and expected me to lean down to welcome ME home with a hug. Both of those welcome home's were typical of each kid. The welcome that surprised me the most was Quinn's. He welcomed me by saying, "hey, remember to wake me up in the morning; I'm going to the gym with you." I was shocked.

I thought about Quinn's request to join me in the gym and couldn't help but smile. Sure, I was pleased at the thought that he ASSUMED I would be going to the gym in the morning, even after coming home from a week long trip, but that wasn't the most pleasing part. I was pleased to see Quinn take a little initiative and decide that HE wanted to get into the gym and do some work.

So, this morning, at 5:50am I woke Quinn up and both of us bleary eyed stumbled out to the truck to go work out. When we got there we saw Dixie running full tilt on the tread mill. (I had originally planned on swimming, but Quinn didn't want to do that.) So, we joined Dixie and ran beside her briefly. Our plan was to get a nice sweat going then lift weights. However, when I put the dumbbells in Quinn's hand, he grimaced and complained about his wrist still hurting. About a week ago he fell snowboarding and sprained his right wrist. With a sprained wrist you can't lift weights. So, we regrouped, and jumped on the stationary bikes. When it was all said and done we had a good work out. I had a pile of sweat below me, and Quinn looked like he was cool and calm. I saw him work out, and he was keeping a good pace, but he didn't sweat. Weird because he certainly stunk!

Anyway, I'm hoping that he'll stick with it and I'll have a new gym partner. It's fun watching him grow up and discover new things in life. Today it was the gym...tomorrow; who knows? I'm just glad that I get to be his Dad and be here to watch his world open up.

6 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

First of all, cute picture of the kids. Secondly, cute post, how fun for you to have a partner. However, since he's near anorexic, or shall we say stick figureish, I wonder what in the world he's working out for. Be careful with that one, or perhaps slip him some serious protein powder. Sorry I missed you, this morning was the only morning I wasn't there. See you next week.

Lana said...

So weird that he's like, older. Weird. But it is really fun that he went with you. And I agree, once that wrist heals up you definitely have to focus on the weights and lots of protein powders!! :) No extra cardio for him for awhile.

Dixiechick said...

As soon as I left I realized I hadn't really said much to Quinn and I felt bad. I should have made a big deal about him being there...although he's a teenager, so maybe it's better that I didn't. Anyway, it was fun to see him there with you. I envision the day that I have a little gym buddy too. :)

Erock! said...

Believe it or not, I try and load that kid up with protein and increased carbs. His metabolism is like Speedy Gonzales. When the wrist is better we'll start him pumping iron. Little by little we'll put some meat on those bones. :)

Allyson & Jere said...

Ummm Eric, where ARE you? I've been at the gym every day, haven't seen you. Get a move on man. hehe

Erock! said...

Ally Babba! Lest you be smitten for false judgement...I have been in the gym 4 times this week. Monday and Wed. at noon. Friday in the wee morning when you were noticeably NOT there and then again this morning with my dear son Quinn. READ IT AND WEEP!!!